We rely on the local community to provide the majority of the funds that keep the rescue centre going.
Our biggest source of income is undoubtedly our shops, all of which are manned by volunteers, and they have a page of their own on this website, but other fundraising events are organised regularly right across the region - can shakes, coffee mornings, sponsored walks and so on.
We are always grateful when members of the community take the initiative to dream up and organise their own fundraising event for us. Nowadays, it is made easier to collect the donations or sponsorship via our virginmoneygiving page - create your event, then your supporters can donate online, Virgin claims the Gift Aid on our behalf and transfers the money into our bank account!
In the past, some local communities have raised enough money (£1000) to sponsor a kennel of their own for a year, including Dalbeattie, Galloway, Moffat, Stewartry, Kirkpatrick Fleming and Kirkcudbright have sponsored kennels.
We are always looking for ways to boost the charity’s funds to help our dogs. Some ideas of what you could do include the following:
- Something energetic - like sky diving, abseiling, running a marathon, riding a bike race, hold a sports event like a football or hockey tournament, or a curling match or swimming gala, organising a show jumping demonstration.
- Or for those of us who prefer something a little less high octane - a baking event, a sponsored walk, a coffee morning, a memory walk for pets who we have loved and lost, a fete, a car boot sale. We run 5 charity shops and we are always looking for volunteers to help us man them.
- For kids at school, Brownies, Scouts and other groups - a Non-uniform Day, a sponsored silence, a car wash, a cake sale, a sponsored litter pick - there's loads to choose from!
- For the fun ones - Fancy Dress - Pay to come to work in fancy dress; Guess the Baby competition - baby photos of your colleagues (you’ll never see your boss in the same light again!).
- For the creative ones – organise a Fashion Show, a Play, a Musical Evening, photography competition, art exhibition, poetry reading, dance evening, craft sale.
- For the ones who like to expand their minds - what about a quiz, spelling bee, scrabble marathon, chess tournament, whist drive.
- For the quirky and have-a-go ones - a Sponsored Haircut? Leg or chest wax for the guys? Shave your head for charity? Sponsored weight loss?
These ideas are just the tip of the iceberg. If you decide to try any fundraising for us, give us a call for advice. Don’t bite off more than you can chew! Always consider health and safety and make sure you follow guidelines and advice. You will need to have a letter of authority from the charity before you can collect any money on our behalf
The money raised through events and volunteering is essential. We rely on your help and kindness. It helps pay for the care of the dogs while they wait to find new homes.
If you would rather register to help at one of our events please contact the Centre for a volunteer form, on 01387 770210 any day between 12 and 4.
You shop. Amazon gives.
- Amazon donates 0.5% of the net purchase price (excluding VAT, returns and shipping fees) of eligible purchases to us.
- AmazonSmile is the same Amazon you know. Same products, same prices, same service.
- Support us by starting your shopping at smile.amazon.co.uk
Raise donations for Dumfries & Galloway Canine Rescue Centre whenever you shop online.
Turn your everyday online shopping into FREE donations.